Rebuilding Candidate

Clark A Sprague clarks11628@juno.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:26:08 -0500

Dear Esteemed Contributors to the List:
        I went to a customer's house today to look at their piano, their
previous technician saying that he wouldn't deal with it anymore.  He
wouldn't elaborate on what the problem was, but the customer noticed that
the piano went out of tune within 2 or 3 days.  They called me and asked
me to come and evaluate it for them, since he will not return their
calls.
        The piano is a Schiller 5'4" grand, with a black walnut
"Starburst" finish.  It is in pretty good shape (the finish that is)  It
is beautiful, dark on the edges, and rubbed-out in the middle to expose
beautiful grain.  Anyone farmiliar with this finish?
        The pinblock is shot, the board still has about 1/8th or so of
crown (one crack that is bad enough to warrant some kind of repair), the
bridges look like candidates for epoxy treatment, cracks there, but not
too bad.  Needs new hammers and shanks, regulation, cleaning, etc.
        The serial number is #86,285, which my atlas says is 1934 or
1935.
        The big question to you, oh esteemed listees, is: is this a piano
that is worth sinking bucks into, or will it end up worth only what you
put into it?  If that much?  I had only heard of Schiller once before,
and I am not farmiliar with what quality of instruments they made.   Any
experience with these out there?

Clark Sprague
Associate Member
Detroit/Windsor Chapter