Micrometers

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 20:53:16 -0800

Well, I have two dial calipers and two micrometers.
One caliper was made in China the other in Japan.  Both read .046 on a =
piece of piano wire.  One micrometer by an American co. (Scherr-Tumico) =
that is designed for inside diameter measuring (it has one round anvil =
and one flat.  It reads .0458.  The other micrometer is from Poland and =
reads .0463.

I don't even remember where I got these.  I've had them for years. I =
seldom use the micrometers, since I feel that dial calipers are plenty =
accurate for any thing I'm doing.  Even cheap ones.  As for getting what =
you pay for.  You might if you're lucky.
How many times have you paid your money and not gotten what you thought =
you'd paid for?

Enco mfg co has a cat of all kinds of machinists tools.  Phone 1-800 =
873-3626 for info on location of enco nearest you.  May be an old No. =
however, my cat is from 95-96. =20

If you use something many times a day, buy the best you can get.  If you =
use it once a month or less, skimp.

Carl Meyer
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 5:14 PM
  Subject: Re: Micrometers

  I usually find that you get what you pay for, and thus I usually only =
buy high quality tools. BUT, for some unknown reason, I guess I didn't =
want to pay the big bucks for a good micrometer so I picked up a cheap =
made-in-China micrometer for.....I forget, but it seems like maybe $20 =
or so. I have been really suprised to find that it is dead-on. Super =
accurate, super consistent. I would recommend taking a few pieces of =
string (wire) and a couple tuning pins of known diameter and check out =
whatever micrometer you end up getting.

  Terry Farrell
  Piano Tuning & Service
  Tampa, Florida