tuning fork

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:59:18 -0800

> Richard Wolff wrote:
>
> According to my SAT III, my tuning fork is 2.5 cents flat.  I'm
> guessing that I can change this by filing something off of the fork-
> do I take some from the upper ends, bottom end, middle?

Richard,

You want to file on the inside surface of each tine, not on the highly
polished ends (for the sake of appearance). Take an equal number of
strokes with a file on each side and check with an ETD.

I used to carry my tuning fork in my pocket so that it will always be at
body temperature when I tune A4. Another approach is to place it in your
arm pit or pocket while you are setting up mutes, etc., to bring it to
body temp.

Tom Cole