Accu-Tune/aural

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:13:04 -0600

Hi Richard

Nice post about the why. I believe you missed a point or two. If you are
trying to tune a unison with an etd I believe most persons would mute all
but one string to do so. This prevents the strings from "coupling". When
the two or three strings are unmuted the pitch of the first tuned string
will be slightly different.

This effect can be duplicated aurally. Tune a middle string (or accept it
as a given). Next tune the bass side wire to the middle with the treble
string muted. Now move the mute to the bass side and tune the treble
string. Finally pull out the mute and listen to the (shabby) result. Often,
even with a "performance" level piano the result will be a poor unison.

The "why" in my mind is quite clear. I doubt that there have ever been
three strings with exactly the same termination/length/tightness of bridge
pin/mating to bridge/voicing/perfectly cylindrical wire. (Well, maybe ONE
such unison in the entire production history of the piano *grin*, after all
accidents *do* happen).

At 09:35 AM 3/19/01 +0100, you wrote:

>Richard Moody wrote:
>
>> I am wondering why SAT III can't tune unisons.  Or why everybody
>> prefers to tune unisons by ear rather than by machine even though
>> using the machine for everything else. The unisons I tuned with
>> TuneLab sounded OK, but I do tune unisons by ear after tuning
>> everything else with TL, hmmm I wonder why....   ---ric
>>
>Another thing is that ETD's are primarilly set up to listen to one string
>at a time. Its not set up to sort out and deal with two coincidents at a
>time, whether they come from octaves or other intervals or from unisions.
>There are probably other contributing factors, and Robert and Dean should
>probably expound on those for you.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/