The Bad News, etc.

Tom Weaver cwsplay@gochatplus.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:08:24 -0600

Great advise Willem!  I don't tune pianos, I work on playgrounds at =
McDonald's restaurants, but, it works the same.  When the owner wants =
his maintenance man to do his own work, we encourage it, sell them =
parts, etc. and have found it has built a good business for us with very =
loyal customers.  That's good thinking.

Tom =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 8:21 AM
  Subject: Re: The Bad News, etc.

  In a message dated 3/18/01 6:45:54 PM Central Standard Time,=20
  crbrpt@bellatlantic.net writes:=20

    My most loyal customers are those who have tried to tune their own =
pianos.=20

  This is about how I feel. This whole discussion about pianist learning =
to=20
  tune their own piano should be looked on by professional piano tuners =
as a=20
  means to increase business, not take it away. I encourage people who =
call and=20
  ask for tuning hammers, tuning forks, advice on tuning the piano, etc. =
I get=20
  rewarded handsomely by the people with whom I spend a few minutes =
talking=20
  about how to tune a piano, or from whom I make a few dollars selling =
tuning=20
  instruments. Sooner or later they all realize there is much more to =
tuning a=20
  piano than turning the pin. And for the few who actually do learn to =
do it=20
  themselves, they become piano tuners, and join the ranks, and the PTG. =

  So why discourage these people? If Mr. Widener can make a few bucks =
selling=20
  his ETD, and if the professor feels good about writing his =
dissertation on=20
  the web, more power to them. Bring it on. We can use the extra work.=20

  Willem=20