Accu-Tune/aural

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:39:26 EST

In a message dated 3/19/01 1:27:37 AM Central Standard Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

> I am wondering why SAT III can't tune unisons.  Or why everybody
> prefers to tune unisons by ear rather than by machine even though
> using the machine for everything else. The unisons I tuned with
> TuneLab sounded OK, but I do tune unisons by ear after tuning
> everything else with TL, hmmm I wonder why....   ---ric

I have tried tuning unisons with my SAT III, and found I could do better by
ear. My theory is this. Even though we can make the lights stand still, they
only do so for a few seconds, then the lights go out. What we don't see,
perhaps, is that eventually they will drift to one side or another. This
would indicate a string was flat, (or sharp). The machine is accurate enough
to tell us it is correct, but the ear is more accurate than the machine. This
only hold true for unisons. I don't think it applies to octaves, 3rds, etc.
There are too many inharmonicity factors involved in those intervals for us
to be able to hear slight imperfections in them.

Again, just my theory. I could be wrong.

Willem