End result (was Re: Accu-Tune :( [revisited]

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:47:35 +0100

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >...Surely you didnt mean to say "pet peeve"... that isnt really a very
> >polite way
> >of describing someones sincere opinions and thoughts on a matter...
>
> Yes, I did mean to say 'pet peeve', and I wasn't attempting to be polite or
> impolite.  Since I have been unable to distinguish your sincerity in this
> matter, I posted what I did with full knowledge and no malice.  If it got
> your attention, than I did no less than how you managed to get mine.

Well let me see then.... its ok for some people to employ such
language tools to
"get your attention" with no malice, and I or someone else are
supposed to be able
to just accept that... but when the tables are turned as they
have been on a number
of occasions for myself and some others, then suddenly this kind
of thing is not
ok. Despite that the fact that  I load my posts with grins and
smiles and a whole
paragraphs on occasion decrying my respect for the individual I
am addressing and
the jovial nature of my intent. ....er.... ok....

> No offense meant now, Richard, prior or following.
>
> >...There was indeed an expressed difference of opinion
> >with another list member I have personally a lot of respect for... but
> >that was
> >all.
>
> Thank you for this clarification.

Er,.... your welcome... I would have thought an apology was in
order her, you did
after all directly accuse me of infering something about someone
elses judgment,
who I might add is a fine person who himself saw no need to react
with other then a
smile.

As for the rest.... you snipped pretty selectivly so in attempt
to get back to the
jist of the subject matter that was my origional intent I'll just
clarify on a
blank sheet.

My opening reply to Dons post was a misunderstanding of his
objections to the
fellow selling that Accu- Tune device. I and a couple others made
this mistake. We
took off on the line which in basis has to do with the very real
problem of
accepting money for unproffessional and incompent work and what
is the best way of
dealing with that problem. There are those who mean that any
attempt to require any
kind of certification requirements creates a worse problem, that
of a certain
number of these "certified" proffesionals misusing the trade
protections such
certification would create. This is a valid point. There are
others, like myself,
who take the standpoint that removal of any and / or all such
requirements simply
will exasperate that type of problem and indeed expand on its
scope. Such a
solution after my mind simply legitimizes those very same
"certified" abusers,
opens for even more such practice and removes any and all
possiblities for
accountability mechanisms.  This is also a valid point. So we
debate the pros and
cons...

As to the direction in the discussion relating to this "end
result" concept. For my
part I have been refering to the validity of the "end result" as
it relates to any
testing proceedure. I take it for granted that a customer out
there paying good
money has a perfect right to expect a satisfactory "end result".
That however has
nothing to do with the validity of this same "end result" in
accertaining whether
or not a technician knows both the practical and the theoretical
knowledge required
to tune a piano. The only way to argue against that fact is to
point out that
perhaps the theoretical is not so important, and that if you can
use a tuning
hammer in conjunction with an ETD then this should be enough. I
do not aggree that
this should be enough. So we debate the pros and cons.

All the dissaggreement on this theme seems to me to stem from
these above mentioned
positions. I see no need to get all hot and bothered about any
dissagreements
relating to this, we are bound to have differeing viewpoints. I
see no need to
reduce a perfectly valid standpoint to being an "ego trip" or to
attempt to place
one or another person in an ethical quandry over the position he
/ she takes. I see
no reason to personalize the disscussion whatsoever when it comes
down to it.

My response to Dons origional posting was deliberatly poking fun
at a person I
respect and who's nett companionship I enjoy and he, I am sure,
is aware of that.
The last thing I expected was for a person who has written me so
extensively on the
need to employ a "sixth sense" in order to maintain list harmony
to send me a post
with false accusations, "attention getting" language use,
followed by a twisting
and manipulation of my statements to move the discussion into an
area I have never
addressed and attaching then meanings to me that I do not stand
for.  For you to
simply state that your particular reading of my statements are
"self evident"
.....welll.... I just dont know what to say Keith..

In all sincerety.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.