Schiller rebuilding

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:08:28 -0500

>Jack:
>Would you come up here and have a chat with a few of my clients? One of the
>hardest "arguments" is the durability/stability of old well-preserved wood,
>the vintage vs. new argument.
>PR-J

Realistically, I think this is issue is overblown. Sure if a customer
has a top quality grand, it's often times worth rebuilding. Many
times with a average quality grand the costs simply do not pan out.

Couple the normal sentimentality of the piano tuner with their old
piano and the financial interest that the tuner advising them has and
you come up with arguments like above.

Too often I've heard from customers that have been told that "if you
rebuild this piano it will be worth $XX,XXX." Of course often times
it's not worth a fraction of that.

Sure, the sentimentality with some pianos warrants putting in more
than what it's worth but if we're advising people, the advice should
be balanced with a dose of reality.

As to the durability of old well-preserved wood vs. new; hmmm, guess
it depends on how old, in what condition, what's been done, what's
not going to be done and what NEW is being compared. Is the action
being rebuilt, the soundboard replaced, etc.? If it's a decent
quality grand they have and they're considering a low end new grand
from China, that's one thing, if the customer is considering putting
$15-20,000 into a 5'-5'7" grand, that's another.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.