Pianola and rolls

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:12:06 -0600

The "spinet sized" players are all post-war era "instirmints".  They were
made largely from cheap materials such as plastics and low grade rubber
cloth.  Plexiglas unit valve blocks with neoprene rubber valve facings are
common on these and are particularly famous for being leaky and worthless.
Often the spool box transmissions were operated by cheep motors with plastic
gears that are inevitably stripped.  The pianos themselves were also
typically very cheep.  You are correct that these "playa pianas" have little
value.  The old pre-war players, (typically in full size uprights), were far
superior in quality and if properly restored, (including piano), they can be
very impressive and fun machines.

The rolls themselves have "some" value though not exceptionally so.  The
biggest problem with them, (particularly the early ones), is that the paper
becomes brittle with age and then tears easily.  Just like anything else
organic paper has a life expectancy.  Because the rolls you have are
somewhat comparatively young they may be okay.   A realistic value for them
is about $2.00 $3.00 each.  I have seen some in places like e-bay for
anywhere from $5.00 to & $8.00 but that is pretty outrageous.  I myself have
an impressive collection of rolls, many of which I purchased for as little
as $.50 each in large lots.  Expression rolls, (such as Ampico or DuoArt),
are slightly more valuable since there are fewer of these out there and they
are a little more specialized.  $5.00 - $7.00 are a fair price for these
although again I have purchased them in lots for as little as $1.00 each.

Rob Goodale, RPT