ETD Unisons was something else

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:23:40 -0600

At 09:24 PM 3/20/01 +0100, you wrote:
>We were getting into something interesting here that I wouldnt mind seeing
continued. I
>am wondering about different ETD users experience and preferences
concerning how to
>best use an ETD for aid in tuning unisons. Where and when you choose to do
unisons with
>ETD help, and what works best for you and why.

>Richard Brekne

Hi Richard,
                  On a piano with quite a number of false strings, I will
often pluck each unison and get all 3 strings stable, just using the RCT.
While the unison may sound slightly off, 2 weeks later it will tend to
sound better than the unison that you had to search for a "sweet spot" by ear.
Having had lot's of pianos on the sales floor that I have been able to
check at daily intervals, it is not my imagination. Fudging the tuning to
hide or minimize unison beats, never seems to last.
But it often sounds better by ear at the time of tuning, when tuned by ear.
Given that the pitch is constantly on the move, the ETD seems to give
better results.
I tune each string to the ETD individually, then recheck by ear. Correct
minor discrepencies as required.
My feelings, slower but more stable results.  It works for me. Take
advantage of all tools. technology, and tradition.
Roger