Fix what's not broke?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:37:09 EST

Howard writes:
<<My dilemma is this. Should I replace the
sound board and pinblock because they are 115 years old even though they
seem fine right now? Should I fix what ain't broke? >>

Greetings,
   There are some soundboards that shouldn't be touched.  I have several,
myself.  If this piano sings, rebuild the action, restring it with the next
size pin, pay particular attention to the bridge notching and pin tightness,
and see if you can carefully clean the board and make it beautiful with a
very light coat of rubbed shellac.
   New is nice, but the occasional old gem needn't be ripped apart on
principle, alone.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(the nicest sounding piano in my rental business is a 1912 model O, with
original strings!)