Sandwiched Soundboard was Rebuilding Candidate

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:41:57 EST

Hi, Dale and Richard,

Problem is, this piano is on its side "sandwiched" between other similarly
gutted space robbers in my shop.  I can't get at it right now.  But when I
had it out years ago I think I peered through a few small (1" or less?)
"airholes" and concluded that the only connection between the two boards
involved dowel spacers, maybe 1" or 1 1/2".   I don't know if the upper board
is ribbed in any way, but I'm guessing it's not - the lower board is -and
that might be what they were after (Del is probably chuckling right about now
if he's reading this) - a greater range of frequency responsiveness.  I
really have no idea.  Someone once suggested that the crown might be better
retained.

But that is why I have held on to it lo these many years - it is pretty
interesting (besides, I haven't built any trebechut (sp?) yet).

Bill Shull,  RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

 In a message dated 3/20/01 12:47:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<< So Bill, you gonna describe this a bit more for us ? Or did you and I just
 missed it.

 --
 Richard Brekne
 RPT, N.P.T.F.