Multi anvil micrometers

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:11:06 +1100

List,

I know that this topic is now a few days old, but Allan's post about
the use of multi anvil micrometers was excellent advice for those of
us who regularly service pianos in commercial venues, colleges and
universities.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT wrote regarding multi anvil micrometers.

>My choice in a micrometer is either a Starrett 220 Mul-T-Anvil analog mic or
>the model 790 digital Mul-T-Anvil mic (if you have the bucks or the need to
>switch back and forth between English and Metric).  These mics aren't cheap
>but you can get a really good deal on them if you keep an eye on the used
>tool auctions while the new ones (available from any good machinist supply
>or Pianotek in our industry) will easily last a lifetime and then some.
>
>The main advantages to the mul-t-anvil design is that you can measure
>strings in the piano while they're still up to tension.  The thin anvil on
>the head allows this measurement which is great for scale evaluation.
>Replacing the flat anvil with a round one allows you to measure the
>thickness of the wall of a tube.  The notched anvil allows you to measure
>the thickness of a bolt or screw head. One of the best uses I've found is to
>remove the anvil and clamp which allows me to use the mic as a micrometer
>height gauge on the router table or the table saw.  You can find
>descriptions of these on Machinist Supply Company's (MSC) website at:
>http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2088

I have to agree with Allan. These are the ideal micrometer for
measuring string diameters in the piano. I have carried a multi anvil
mic' in my road kit for many years. So often, piano players will
remove a broken string and throw it in the trash. It's such a pain
measuring string specifications from the piano, allowing for core
stretch etc, but it's a much simper operation when you can accurately
measure the diameters from the remaining unison string.

Regards,

Ron O.

--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au