ETD Unisons was something else

Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:11:09 +0100

Hmm... neat stuff here... Couple questions below and one comment for thought.

Don wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Using Reyburn Cyber Tuner one can measure the relative strength of a few
> partials. It makes intuitive sense to me that the *loudest* partial should
> be the *most* beat free. It would take a much longer time to do this than
> to use *ears*

I have thought along those lines "aurally" for many years, but of late I begin
to wonder if thats something I can absolutely depend on or not. Throwing an
second note into the mesh (as in an Octave) can change that loudest partial
picture, and throwing two in can change it more. Then there is always this
buisness of the progression of tenths.... thats a what.. 5:2 coincident... so
seen from the bass side unison  its desirable to have that 5th partial clean no
matter what else is going on... which of course doesnt always work well with
the other conditions. Still the *loudest* partial is gonna have to be one of
those things you take into consideration.

> The other argument is that if you make the highest *possible to read*
> partial beat free that the lower partials will be "inside" of it and will
> be beat free.

Not quite sure I follow you here. What do you mean "beat free", and wouldnt the
partials below beat "wide" instead of "inside" ?

> Hard hammers require "narrower" or "more pure" unisons. Do unisons and then
> voice out the remaining beating?

Again I am unclear on your meaning.... care to expound a bit ?

> Oh Richard, *all sorts of worms* in this can.

Grin... well you know me and worms.... :) besides... they make great
bait.Regards,

> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

I of course remain Muserely yours.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.