Fix what's not broke?

Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:26:09 +0100

Nice posting Jim... I couldnt help asking something of you all since the general
subject matter of the value of old instruments is a part of this....

What is it that first and formost causes the death of a soundboard... and is there
any reason that a board cannot last for like... really really long (say 2 even 3
hundred years) given ideal climatic conditions. Is is the pressure of strings
themselves that will sooner or later "crush" the board... or is it the year in
year out changes due to seasons that does em in... or what.

I know we have been through some of this about old wood... still you have these
like really old violins that people just love... if a piano was cared for well
enough... is there any real chance of something like it "maturing" ( sort of like
a fine wine would) ?

I am interested in hearing all sides, and have really no idea of what to think
myself. My gut says that old, if well preserved must have some nice qualities,
even soundwise that cant be found anywhere else then "old" and in that spirit I am
behind JIMRPT 100%.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.