Piano Disk System 128

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:28:41 -0500

Dear List,
I tuned for a new customer yesterday; he has a Kawai KG-5C, onto
which he had a Piano Disk system (PDS-128, serial number K12940095)
installed about ten years ago. This is the first PD system among my
clientele, and I've never taken any classes on servicing these
systems.
While the customer is satisfied with the way the system operates, he
says the piano action has never felt the same since the installation.
The action certainly feels overdue for a good regulation (heavy
touch, insufficient aftertouch, late damper lift).
BTW, there's a tremendous squeal when using the una chorda pedal. Are
there keytouch sensors (or other goodies) installed in the keyframe
which are particularly likely to be the culprit?
Any comments from PD installers/maintainers? Is this an example of a
poor installation, an obsolescent system, just a system in need of
"regular" service (the piano was last tuned 6.5 years ago; I don't
think a PD tech has touched the piano since installation), or maybe
the system's AOK and a good regulation of the piano action will make
everything hunky dory??
Anybody know a good PD tech in the Boston area?

Thanks,
Patrick Draine