Piano Disk System 128

Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:02:23 +0100

Hi Patrick. Havent done a Piano Disk for a couple years now, but have
about 40 - 50 under my belt from earlier on.  A couple coments
interspersed below.

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> While the customer is satisfied with the way the system operates, he
> says the piano action has never felt the same since the installation.

The piano disk system should not be "feelable" in normal play. If it is
then something about the install is not quite right. Ok... you might be
able to almost notice the record strip if thats installed...never
actually measured any touch weight difference, but probably not...

> The action certainly feels overdue for a good regulation (heavy
> touch, insufficient aftertouch, late damper lift).

This sounds like action related and not PD related. Sometimes the during
the course of the install, which requires a a modification to the key
frame, the installer decides to do some action work as well. Since the
owner says he has felt the piano played different from the get go.. it
may be that this action work didnt fit the owners likings touchwise, and
/ or was less then optimal. Combine that with some years of use and
should suprise anyone that the piano has regulation problems.  The action
probably needs a real nice overhaul. You might consider getting a
certified bonified PD installer to come and service the PD system. It may
need upgrading as well.

> BTW, there's a tremendous squeal when using the una chorda pedal. Are
> there keytouch sensors (or other goodies) installed in the keyframe
> which are particularly likely to be the culprit?

About the only thing that could cause this from the piano disks side of
the equation are the rubber tops on the key push rods comming out of the
solonoids.... doubtfull really that they could cause this.. but who
knows..

> Any comments from PD installers/maintainers? Is this an example of a
> poor installation, an obsolescent system, just a system in need of
> "regular" service (the piano was last tuned 6.5 years ago; I don't
> think a PD tech has touched the piano since installation), or maybe
> the system's AOK and a good regulation of the piano action will make
> everything hunky dory??

Impossible to judge a PD installation fairly over the nett without
knowing more, and its probably not so important. A PD installer local to
you can certainly help out with any eventual warrantee questions. About
the only thing that comes to my mind that could possibly fit your
description of symptoms is if the solonoid rails were mounted to high...
heavy action doesnt quite fit that I suppose... but sluggish might..

Call the Local PD tech to help, do the action up right perhaps work
together... and you can learn something new in the bargain.

> Anybody know a good PD tech in the Boston area?

PD's Home page is available on the PTG's page I belive. They have a
listing of techs if I am not mistaken. Alternatively you contact them at
the email address listed there. Good luck. Would like to hear a follow up
on this one.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.