Steinway regulation

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:06:13 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Pamela Jenkins=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 5:20 PM
  Subject: Steinway regulation

  Hello,
  Does anyone out there know of a handy source for Steinway Grand =
regulation specifications?
  I've contacted the company, but I think it's going to take longer than =
I can wait at this particular moment.
  Thanks in advance for the help.
  Pam Jenkins
  Southport, ME

  >Many technicians have a copy of the Steinway Service Manual, which =
probably has most of the spec's in it.  Copying out of my PTG Piano =
Action Handbook, 2nd Ed. (1971), it has:
  Steinway grands:  Key Height:  2 5/8" (measured to underside of =
keytop)  Blow: 1 3/4"  Let-off:  1/16"  Key dip: 3/8" +    (nothing =
listed for back check)
  Steinway verticals:  Key Ht.  2 3/8"    (nothing listed for blow)  =
Let-off:  1/16"  Key dip:  3/8" +      Backcheck:  1/2" =20
      But the service manual has procedures and other stuff (sostenuto, =
hammer-to-string alignment, even voicing, if I remember right) =20
      Sincerely, David Nereson, RPT, Denver