Unisons ..was ETD unisons.

Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:21:30 +0100

jolly roger wrote:

> Hi Don and Richard,
>                                When talking about this level of fine (
> micro,Don's word) tuning. Voicing and tuning go hand in glove. Phasing,
> travel and string level enter the picture.
> Roger

I agree one hundred percent Roger... and its easy to get carried away trying to
make it all fit just right... it never does completely...

Anyways ... I thought I would try and clarify the little part of  this "big
picture" I was trying to describe.. this stuff about adjusting unisons in a
note to fit it with other notes.

The cleaness of a unison at some point no longer is the issue, There is a
certain range of adjustment for any unison that varies sound characteristics
that really dont have anything to do with how clean the unison is, taken by
itself. If you pick a unison apart by listening to all partials you very often
(if not always if you want to get really picky) distinguish certain partials
that have some movement going on and others that sound pretty clean. Very often
you can choose which of these partials you want cleanest without changeing the
degree of basic "cleanness" of  the unision as a whole. Aggreed ?

>From this perspective then you have a potential "tool" if you will for evening
out some problems in matching notes to various intervals. Not just the loudest
partials from within the unison itself, but the loudest partials after adding a
second note to the unison you are microtuning. Sometimes you can accomplish
something that helps... sometimes you simply have to stick with what the unison
itself needs as a stand alone tone, and perhaps address whatever you were
trying to help by dinking with the other note... I tune like this, spreading
out from the middle and often readjusting very slightly already tuned notes
because of things I notice in this fashion. Sometimes actually its nothing more
then a less then clean unison that sounds good alone, but not when adding a
second note.. (thirds and fiths often help out here)  Sometimes its a bit more
complicated.

Grin... is this any more clear or have I got you wondering what planet I am on
again...:)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.