Steinway regulation

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:34:13 -0500

Hi Bob, and Pam,

I did/do not know Pam's skills levels but I do hope she can regulate well
enough to understand what I was trying to convey:  Do It By Touch!  If she
already knows all this stuff then others on the list may well benefit from
the review.

As for doing samples throughout the action, you are correct, the best
approach by far but I have found that doing samples at the first and last
natural notes of each section helps me in deriving final work
specifications.  I have mislead myself a number of times but I am an old
dog (mutt really) and I learn new tricks slowly.

> I have had more prefer uniform aftertouch to uniform dip,

This is true and that is why I suggested making small changes in dip to
finalize aftertouch.  What I did not say is the limit should be around
.007" or .010" plus or minus and .010" is pushing the envelope hard.

As for aftertouch itself I prefer Yamaha's concept of "safety factor" which
is defined as the movement of the jack (and downward movement of the key)
from the point the jack leaves contact with the knuckle to the point the
key stops.  Too much safety factor and you loose repetition because the key
has to be lifted further than needful and too little risks the chance of
the knuckle bouncing off the jack because it is in the way of the downward
travel of the knuckle.  You can go for less safety factor, especially in
the treble, for one performance but the next day risks blocking.

I do hope the techniques I suggested are helpful for some.

My best regards,

		Newton (lazy dog)