Steinway regulation

Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:28:50 +0100

BobDavis88@AOL.COM wrote:

> This brings up an interesting question anyway, whether to insist on uniform
> DIP or uniform AFTERTOUCH. In a perfect world, you can have both if you are
> careful; a technician from a "major manufacturer" told me that if you set a
> straight hammerline, the letoff correctly, and the dip with a block, the
> aftertouch "would come out right," but I have not found this to be true,
> because of slight differences in knuckle shape and placement, leverage, and
> so forth. I would say that of pianists who expressed a preference, I have had
> more prefer uniform aftertouch to uniform dip, so I lean that way unless they
> express an opposite preference. How about the rest of you?

Having been heavily influenced about 18 years back by Laroy Edwards in Oslo a
couple times,, I'd have to go for the aftertouch priority. Any evening out of
contributing factors is worked from that standpoint. One thing I always found
usefull was something he said back then when this same type of question was posed
him. That was the "straight line" of whippens height. If you look at the capstans
and notice how uniform the whippen cushions look (heightwise ..grin) you can often
be suprised. Course if this isnt so straight yet your hammer line is right
on...well... you can figure out where this is going.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.