Steinway regulation

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:10:32 -0500

Kevin E. Ramsey <ramsey@extremezone.com> wrote:

>     No, how about uniform dip, uniform aftertouch, and an even hammer line?
>If you can't achieve that, then go back and start over. As in the beginning,
>this time doing those repairs you should have done?  I'm not trying to be
>smart, or mad, or anything, but seriously..... on a decent action, you CAN
>have it all. When all else fails, follow the directions,,,,,,, or learn
>them.

You must not be specifically setting in aftertouch in increments of 1
mil punchings, more likely setting in a uniform dip and blow AND
assuming that "a decent action" will obligingly provide uniform
aftertouch. What extent of repairs are you willing to perform along
the way towards an action decent enough to oblige? And to what
tolerances? Knuckle bolstering is certainly on the list. Re-hanging
knuckles where the molding is not square to the shank or *some*
specified distance from the hammer center? How 'bout the same for the
capstans or the balance rail pins? And does uniform blow include
measuring each note from the strings, not just the section ends? If
your tolerances were exacting, would the action honor them with with
a uniform aftertouch.

I'm with Mike and Bob. It's the same 2 out of 3 that we face everyday
in tuning. Regardless of theoretical calculations, no piano will give
us clean octaves AND smooth thirds AND smooth fifths. I've said
before in an earlier thread on this subject that given a uniform
blow, and a disagreement between dip and aftertouch of 5 mils, the
pianist will definitely notice the 5 mil error left in a 50 mill
aftertouch much faster than that same error left in a .390" dip.

>     On the other hand,,, I just had this nightmare Brambach that I was
>handed the other day. Maybe in the next few days I'll get the strength back
>to write about it without shuddering.

Have fun with it. But the issue in this thread can be demonstrated
with any action.

>  > BobDavis88@AOL.COM wrote:
>  >
>  > > This brings up an interesting question anyway, whether to
>insist on uniform
>  > > DIP or uniform AFTERTOUCH.
>  >
>  > How about  insisting on both even dip and even aftertouch?
>Crooked hamme line
>  > tolerated first, (within reason)
>  >
>  > Just an initial gut reaction,