Steinway regulation

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:15:59 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2001 12:04:20 PM, Bob D. wrote:

<<"I would say that of pianists who expressed a preference, I have had
more prefer uniform aftertouch to uniform dip, so I lean that way unless they
express an opposite preference. How about the rest of you?">>

Bob;
 I basically agree with the aftertouch being the most desirable....there are
a few caveats though :-)

(the following assumes a 'normal' piano)
a.)If the hammer line is straight then you can't have uniform dip 'and'
uniform aftertouch.
b.)If the dip is uniform you can't have uniform aftertouch 'and' a straight
hammer line.
c.)If the aftertouch is uniform than the hammer line won't be straight if the
dip is also uniform.

 Given that a basic amount of movement is required of the key to function (+-)
 the range of dip is fairly static. What is not static is the range of
aftertouch and/or hammer blow distance (sic.....hammer line).

 What I have found is that players who play in the fff regions seem to prefer
an even dip and that everyone from ff to ppp much prefer an even aftertouch.
Just my observations.
 Jim Bryant (FL)