Steinway regulation

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:43:39 -0600

At 11:37 PM 3/22/01 -0500, you wrote:
>>     No, how about uniform dip, uniform aftertouch, and an even hammer line?
>
>Oh yes, it is possible but not often with older actions and those coming
>out of some factories.
>
>A nice goal but practicality often intrudes into reality.
>
>		Newton

hi Newton,
                  I agree, the quality of many of the plates in the
business, is far from desireable. This can make an even hammer line all but
impossible.
Throw into the mix a badly mounted action stack, then you have a real can
of worms. A 1mm off set left to right, on the wip cushion's, can be quite
dramatic when talking .010'' or less tolerence on after touch.
Similar results with left to right elevation.
On a performance regulated piano, these problems would have to be addressed.
One thing about Yamaha pianos, you rarely find problems in this department.
 Plate, action, and keybed, are accurately assembled.
I wish I could say the same for North American products.  Having seen the
measured results of Kelly plates, accurate production can not happen.
Many of the night mare regulation problems stem from this source.
Regards Roger.