Steinway regulation

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:48:18 +0100

Hi there Kev...

Nice to be working on good pianos... I had a stint where I was working on
mostly new Samick grands... not quite the same thing but all new pianos is a
different situation then beat up whatever you run intos for sure. Now I am in a
completely different situation. 60 % of my income comes from my job at the UiB
where I care for about 50 instruments, 16 of them grands. Most of them in
reasonably good shape. The uprights however.... well Petrofs may sound ok...
but they sure cant handle a beating over time.

Anyways.... as to this thread and all these lines and uniformities.. One thing
I always do before starting a full regulation is to run a straight edge under
all the knuckles and look at the resulting hammer line. This tells me a bit
about just how much I can expect without dinking around with knuckles. Then I
run that same straight edge under the whippen cushions. If the resulting hammer
line is like all over the place then you have little chance of getting any real
uniformity without correcting the middle action first... course you could
always do some creative hammer filing...grin... but then you run into mass
uneveness and voicing challanges.

Next time you do an old beater check this out. Worn knuckles can cause a lot of
this kinda uneveness as I am sure you already know plenty about. But worn and /
or uneven whippen cushions can cause more problems then I think a lot of folks
give them credit for. I have gotten in the habit of alway looking at how even
the whippen cushions are after setting a first hammer line.... gives me a good
indication of what I can expect.

Grin.. I am looking forward to your Brambach story... have a nice weekend.