Steinway regulation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:52:21 -0600

>(the following assumes a 'normal' piano)
>a.)If the hammer line is straight then you can't have uniform dip 'and'
>uniform aftertouch.
>b.)If the dip is uniform you can't have uniform aftertouch 'and' a straight
>hammer line.
>c.)If the aftertouch is uniform than the hammer line won't be straight if the
>dip is also uniform.
>
> Given that a basic amount of movement is required of the key to function (+-)
> the range of dip is fairly static. What is not static is the range of
>aftertouch and/or hammer blow distance (sic.....hammer line).

Right. We're juggling proportions for the "best" compromise. All this is of
course assuming that the let off distance is sacrosanct, and isn't to be
used to split the difference between any of the other compromises, but is
that necessarily the case?

> What I have found is that players who play in the fff regions seem to prefer
>an even dip and that everyone from ff to ppp much prefer an even aftertouch.
>Just my observations.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Interesting observation. I agree (within an f).

Ron N