Steinway regulation

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:54:11 EST

In a message dated 3/23/2001 4:05:03 PM, Ron N. wrote:

<<"All this is of
course assuming that the let off distance is sacrosanct, and isn't to be
used to split the difference between any of the other compromises, but is
that necessarily the case?">>

 Danged Ron I don't know......... maybe in some instances it is but perhaps
not. Like Roger and Gina said in their "Interactive" series, everything is so
tied together it is diffipossible to tell where one starts and the other
stops...all the way from what direction the casters were pointing during fine
regulation, up to and including whether the reuglation should be aimed for
the start of the performance or the ending

 I would think, given reasonable, workable, parameters in all other areas,
that let-off should be as uniform as possible.  Using the fff to ppp
scale............ the further toward ppp you go the more "sacrosanct" let-off
uniformity becomes. I don't think that the distance of let off is as
important to 'performers' as uniformity is, within reason.

 Now I am far from an 'accomplished' piano player :-)
but..................thems my thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)