It Doesn't Matter

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:39:03 -0500

> While Newton's going to tell you that's a two tech job already

I have not been following this thread carefully but since ROn took my name,
in vain, I will respond.

One person can handle 60 pianos and keep them in acceptable tune and
condition.  More than that something doesn't get done.  Period... End of
story.  One person, one job, 60 pianos.

I, like Ron, am not a political person.  Period...  End of story.  A
university is virtually nothing but political and you will be in the midst
of it, between the students and the faculty and God help you if you can't
play that game and win.

I used my own tools and equipment and when I left it all left with me.  I
had to leave some tools they did buy, some of them favorites of mine, but I
was NOT going to take anything, even a screw, that was/is not mine.  One
big empty space when I left.  Of course someone appropriated about 60% of
before the new guy got settled in.  Sadly he is not on this list.  All he
really does is tune and repair.  Sad.

You will be the hero, for a while.  Then expectations begin to rise and
rise and rise until you are a ne'er do well who can't find his zipper in
the men's room.  Accusations, poor performance reports (one said I could
not tune, believe it or not) then someone wants to control your job and
your life.  I am an independent son of a bitch so I left, after my health
was ruined by the stress.

I far prefer outside private customer work where I can have my own hours.
Putting in 7.5 hours a day in one shot was the worst thing I ever had to
adjust to.  16 years of private work will do that to you.

> Other folks love it (the work, not my personality),

First is true, the second is obvious.

Read Ron's post, memorize it, and get straight with the administration
exactly what you will and what you will not do.  Get that on paper and make
sure everyone gets a copy of it.

Post a list of all the pianos, when they were services and when the will be
again.  Set up a spread sheet that automatically brings up the next several
pianos to the top based upon their usage.  Teaching studios 1 keyboard
instructors, Studio 2 pitch critical instruments like bassoon and flute,
Studio 3 voice and other.  Practice room, class room, office, performance
and out of service are the categories I used.  Performance pianos can be
left off the list because they get tuned for every performance.  Don't tune
on weekends for undergraduate performances.  Tune it on Friday and go
home.  There will be periods, nine weeks for me once, when you will be
there seven days a week.  Even if you have to go in but for a touch up it
ruins your weekend.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Lots of luck.

		Newton