SAT III vs. Reyburn CyberTuner

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:20:10 -0800

euphoniac@juno.com wrote:
> I am a beginner technician who needs advice about the pros and
> cons about these devices.

What David said about learning aurally first is good advice. But you
asked whether SAT or RCT was the better choice. I'll try to be objective.

Cybertuner runs on a laptop (PC or Mac) so there are all the computer
advantages, if that turns you on. For example, I always update my files
when I'm on the job - serial number, model number, change spinet to
console, correct the spelling of their name, how much I charged, what
was done, what to do next time, etc. - rather than writing it down and
transferring the information in the evening. And because there is a
computer display, many more things are possible than when you have only LEDs.

A computer uses a lot more power than the SAT, so battery life is quite
a bit shorter and you will need to recharge more frequently. Of course,
most of the computers are bulkier and heavier to carry. So you need to
consider if the benefit of having your office on your job is all that necessary.

Both the ETDs are comparable in their ability to calculate a good tuning
and both have their shortcomings when dealing with certain transitional
areas of pianos. Here is where having good aural tuning skills is important.

If you can come to a PTG convention, you would be able to test drive
both of these machines. Are you going to be anywhere near Reno in July?

Tom Cole