ETD Unisons was something else

Don Rose drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:33:42 -0600

Hi Richard,

Just because one partial lines up with another doesn't mean the rest do the
same. I believe the ear *locks* onto the loudest partial and that an aural
unison is a composite sound where the ear tries to balance all the partials
to the limits of it's resolution. Coupling muddies the waters of this. For
an edt to do this it would have to simultaniously measure 8 to 16
partials--and do some sort of "balanced" display of them all. And it would
have to have the resolution to listen to *2* such partial ladders. (3 would
be better)

At 07:49 PM 03/23/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Don and others...
>
>Wanted to get back to this before taking off for the first part of the
weekend.
>I gotta admit I am a bit thoughtfull about whats been said so far.  If the
ETD
>sees two strings that have clean partials for the partial being used,
whats the
>problem ?? Why would an ETD have any problem resolving that at all ? Ok, you
>have to go back and forth a bit to deal with changes in pitch due to
coupling,
>but as long as there is no falsness coming from any strings at the relavant
>partial then you should think there would be no problem getting a phase
display
>to come clean. You end up sort of tuning the note relevant to its spot in the
>tuning curve and the unison itself at the same time... kinda similiar to the
>descriptions I have heard about how Virgil handles his unisons / octaves.
>
>It would seem to me that tuning one string at a time is just asking for
>problems. For one you have to guess a bit at any pitch change due to
coupling.
>For the second any falsness that is present in either string is going to
present
>exactly the same problem (or perhaps even a bit worse ) to the phase display.
>
>In anycase my experience with tuning unisons with Tunelab or Cyberear tell me
>that the major problem with doing this is not so much that its difficult
to get
>a good match on the partial being read, quite the opposite.. that one doesnt
>have any way of taking into consideration the behaviour of the rest of the
>envelope.
>

>Have a good weekend folks.
>

>--
>Richard Brekne