It Doesn't Matter

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:04:23 +0100

Newton Hunt wrote:

> One person can handle 60 pianos and keep them in acceptable tune and
> condition.  More than that something doesn't get done.  Period... End of
> story.  One person, one job, 60 pianos.

Aggreed.. full time job.

> I, like Ron, am not a political person.  Period...  End of story.

Excuse me while I puke.  grin.

> A university is virtually nothing but political and you will be in the midst
> of it, between the students and the faculty and God help you if you can't
> play that game and win.

Well,,,, people play their games thats to be sure. You dont have to necessarily
win,,, just keep abreast of the next to last guy... double grin. .... think of
that poor sucker... the last guy.. Oh my GOD.....

> I used my own tools and equipment and when I left it all left with me.  I
> had to leave some tools they did buy, some of them favorites of mine, but I
> was NOT going to take anything, even a screw, that was/is not mine.  One
> big empty space when I left.  Of course someone appropriated about 60% of
> before the new guy got settled in.  Sadly he is not on this list.  All he
> really does is tune and repair.  Sad.

I would think it would be better to get the University to buy everything , and
still take it with you when you go. (Now come on somebody... take me serious
here)

> You will be the hero, for a while.  Then expectations begin to rise and
> rise and rise until you are a ne'er do well who can't find his zipper in
> the men's room.  Accusations, poor performance reports (one said I could
> not tune, believe it or not) then someone wants to control your job and
> your life.  I am an independent son of a bitch so I left, after my health
> was ruined by the stress.

Really Newton... I think you overstate your point. Besides, a well equiped
pianoman never has to worry about his zipper, one way or the other.

> I far prefer outside private customer work where I can have my own hours.
> Putting in 7.5 hours a day in one shot was the worst thing I ever had to
> adjust to.  16 years of private work will do that to you.

But on the other hand is the job security, the bennies.. and cheap education
for the kids... there is always a tradeoff.

> > Other folks love it (the work, not my personality),

You are far to modest.

> First is true, the second is obvious.

read above

> Read Ron's post, memorize it, and get straight with the administration
> exactly what you will and what you will not do.  Get that on paper and make
> sure everyone gets a copy of it.

That is in any case very sound advice. A clear and concise contract that leaves
nothing to be misunderstood.

> Post a list of all the pianos, when they were services and when the will be
> again.  Set up a spread sheet that automatically brings up the next several
> pianos to the top based upon their usage.  Teaching studios 1 keyboard
> instructors, Studio 2 pitch critical instruments like bassoon and flute,
> Studio 3 voice and other.  Practice room, class room, office, performance
> and out of service are the categories I used.  Performance pianos can be
> left off the list because they get tuned for every performance.  Don't tune
> on weekends for undergraduate performances.  Tune it on Friday and go
> home.  There will be periods, nine weeks for me once, when you will be
> there seven days a week.  Even if you have to go in but for a touch up it
> ruins your weekend.

Running a good data base of work done on each and every piano you touch is
definatly a good idea, from several standpoints. I also keep track of
temperature and RH numbers and make a point out of makeing sure the relevant
people know I am watching these things. As far as doing "extras"... I think I
would leave the door a bit more open then Newton suggests... but then this is
Norway, provincial small city Bergen... and that is the US... different ball
parks... still often times going that little extra distance can pay off big
time. Just make sure you dont let yourself get misused... make em beg you each
and every time... ya gots to keep em honest to be sure.

> I could go on and on but you get the idea.
>
> Lots of luck.
>
>                 Newton

I was going to stop at the "We are not political persons" thingy.. but ....well
you know me... I open my mouth and it just keeps waggling.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.