SAT III vs. Reyburn CyberTuner

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:16:20 -0000

I think that regardless of how literally one takes Mr. Ilvedson's statement
about "never" (I don't), he makes a good point.  I think that in the
learning process it is, for most, too easy to allow the device to do the
listening for you.  I think everyone would agree that the goal at the micro
level is to learn to discern aurally small differences in beat variations,
and at the macro level to hear the tuning as a whole and how similar types
of chords in different keys relate in quality and character (at least in
ET).  Tuning is art as well as science.  Thus, I think the focus of learning
must be aural first.  The visual should serve to confirm.  Judgement calls
are frequent in tuning and your ears should have the confidence to override
what your eyes tell you if it is called for.  That being said, I think the
ETD's can be useful for confirming what you are hearing, can get you in the
ball park quickly, take some of the fatigue out of the process, and give you
a second opinion when you are not sure what your ears are telling you.  Both
machines are good.  The SAT is smaller and lighter and the battery last
longer.  The CT has other computer features.  Neither one lets you turn off
your ears.  If I were learning all over again, I would buy a machine, find a
skilled tuner/tech who can teach to work with on a periodic basis (pay
them), only use the machine while you are learning to check and confirm not
only your aural judgement but your stability, and practice practice
practice.

David Love