SAT III vs. Reyburn CyberTuner

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:24:25 +0200

I agree completely with these two fine postings below. The fact is of course
that the picture is a bit more complicated then either Davids original post or
the fact that many have learned quickly and efficiently. David points out a very
real problem that is significant enough in magnitude that it warrants our
attention. Not the least should ETD tuners be acutely aware of the desirability
to avoid any such problems that would feed fuel to the fire surrounding the use
ETD's. But more importantly because most accomplished ETD tuners I know
personally are very dedicated individuals whom I am sure stand personally for a
serious minded professional attitude in the execution of their duties. Any such
serious minded individual cannot possibly look brightly on the use of such a
powerful tool in a fashion that is detrimental to the industry at large and
leads the prospective apprentice in the wrong direction.

And on a more humorous note:

I know the use of ETD's is still a hot issue in our time. That many ETD uses
seem to suffer a bit from chiropractors self abashing syndrome and feel a need
validate themselves through irrational and hysteric justification using isolated
examples that say nothing about the greater reality relative to this problem. I
think we as highly skilled artisans bare a responsibility to be mindful of these
tender feelings and try to avoid hurting them.  Only then can we someday hope to
welcome these fledgeling misguided individuals into the throngs of sensuous
creativity.

>From the planet Xenon I bid you well.

RSLB

David Ilvedson

I am going from my experience in the Bay Area with new tuners and their
lack of ability to pass the PTG tuning test if they go to the ETD before
learning the aural skills.  The fact is they can tune well enough to make a
living with the ETD and most don't use it to learn aural tuning.  They say
"why bother?".  Of course the ETD could be a great learning tool but I
don't think that's happening.  I'm Secretary/Treasurer for the Northern
California PTG Exam Board.  We are averaging about 1 tuning test a year.
Many more than that are entering the field here and our chapter continues
to grow.  Often it is lack of confidence in their aural skills that stops
tuners from upgrading...IMHO

David I.

--
Richard Brekne