voicing the " woody" Baldwin studios

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:35:08 -0600

Hi Mark,
               I recently tapered the treble hammers on one of these
models, along with increasing the down weight for better touch control.
After deep needle voicing, the effect was dramatic.
The hammers had been factory hardened.  ( keytop I think)
I inserted the needles about 1/2", 3 times on the high shoulders to gain
some elasticity in the shoulders. Insertions were about 1/8" apart.
To get the needles in that deep, the action was laid on the bench on its
back, with the tails supported in one of Joe Goss's voicing trays.  Triple
needles were used in the tool.
The bridge pins were lightly tapped, and it cleaned up the false beat problem.
Hope this helps roger