samick pinblock problems

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:13:06 -0600

There's been an awful lot of speculative diagnosis as to what's wrong with
this piano and why, without anything like a reasonably complete set of
symptoms to go on.

Define tuning instability. Are the pins too loose to hold, and if so why
does someone keep tuning it without addressing the problem? What's the
condition of the crown (ALL under) and bearing (all over). Does it drop in
pitch between tunings? Does it rise? Does the pitch rise in one area while
it drops in another? Does the pitch stay relatively uniform, but the
unisons go out? What have we got other than the observation that the bottom
of the block isn't flat to define the problem? Is that really related? How
can we tell? How can we even begin to guess from what we know? You all know
better than this. None of you would let a customer get away with calling in
saying the piano "makes a funny noise when I play middle C, but only in the
morning on Thursdays" without asking a whole lot of questions before
launching into a diagnosis and fix. Give us some information.

Ron N