never say never..kinda long

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:05:34 -0700

    I just have to reply to this thread.
    In my past, I used the Accu-tuner to help myself learn to tune. I
learned how to tune by taking the Randy Potter course first. It was hard,
not really having someone check my work. ( Boy, I'm really opening myself up
to a lot of criticism here, so take it easy on me, not that I can't take
it.)  My mentor, Gene Rudder, was getting really old, and couldn't come by
to check my work all that often. First off, I got a Conn Strobotuner from
God knows where; ( I think I got it from a tuners' widow), and after getting
into the Potter course, and really listening, I said to myself; "I can tune
better than this stupid thing,,,,it says I'm wrong, but my ears say I'm
right." Then, I bought the Accu-tuner, but I was still learning to tune with
the fork. I was checking my work with what the Accu-tuner said was right.
After a while, I said; "I can tune better than this stupid thing", but the
margins were tiny by comparison. Then I took the RPT test, passed it with a
98% score on the tuning.  I walked out of there thinking; " Damn, I thought
the RPT status was supposed to be something special, how did I do it?"
    Later, after working as a full time tuner-technician, I decided that I
COULD use this thing as a tool to give me what I really want in a tuning; a
tool to help my ears. Especially in the higher and lowest octaves. And I
came up with my own system, which turns out to be the same thing that Jim
Coleman had come up with about fifteen years before me.
    Yes, Virginia, you can learn to tune with the help of a machine, but
you'd better pay attention! It's not a brain in a box, the brain is between
your ears!

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com