Reno

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:11:05 -0600

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
> Congratulations are in order. To me! :-) I FINALLY got my university
> to help with the expenses to go to the National!!!!! After about 8 years.

UNLV sends me EVERY year whether I want to go or not.  They consider it a
requirement as part of "continuing education" which they expect all of their
staff to receive from time to time.  From one perspective it is like a paid
vacation.  They pay not only for the convention but all travel expenses,
(including airfare, taxi, etc.), hotel, and I get a $30.00 meal allowance per
day.  All the while I'm still getting my regular university salary.  Last
year I asked for an extra couple days prior to the convention and they gave
it to me.  It is indeed a great deal!!  Truth be known however, I have
attended so many conventions over the years I would love to take a year off.
In spite of all the perks I still can't possibly imagine myself retiring from
a university.  Thirty years of student recitals, noisy music halls, and
claustrophobic practice rooms would put me in the nut house.  Someday I will
pass the torch to someone else who will be "forced" to attend the convention
every year.  <;~))

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV