never say never..kinda long

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:41:44 EST

In a message dated 3/26/01 6:17:27 PM Central Standard Time, cmpiano@home.com
(Carl Meyer) writes:

> I do want to make you a sporting proposition.  You get all the RPTs that
> have not taken the test in its present form to take the test and those that
> fail are downgraded to associate.  Then I will take the test.

Carl,

As specious as David's taunt is, yours is just as much.  The Standardized
Tuning Exam was initiated about 1980.  Naturally, those who were "Craftsmen"
(the equivalent or RPT) at the time were naturally allowed to keep their
title.  All of these had passed some kind of tuning exam or another.
Granted, there was no standardized format but they were indeed examined by
their peers.  Those who did not show quite enough skill were classified as
"Apprentices" and those with even less skill were classified as "Students".

There is no requirement that you or anyone else submit to the Exams.  There
is only the *encouragement* to do so.  I know of some Associate Members who
could easily qualify but choose not to.  That is their prerogative.

More than 20 years has passed since the Standardized Tuning Exam was put in
place.  There have been some changes in it but it is basically the same as it
was back then.  If anything, it is easier now.  I wouldn't know the exact
number of RPT's who are still actively tuning pianos who never took the Exam
in its standardized form but whoever they are, they must be getting pretty
old.  It won't be long before there are none because too much time has passed.

There would be no point in forcing elderly piano technicians who are at or
well past the age of retirement to submit themselves to the Tuning Exam.
Although it is clearly a personal choice whether or not to take these Exams,
I often hear the most ridiculous reasons for not doing so come from the
people for whom it would hardly be a challenge at all.  It would be best to
simply say, "I'm not interested in obtaining the RPT status" and leave it at
that.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin