CAUT spills his guts

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:10:57 -0600

This post from Mike really is quite brilliant. For one thing it provides a
sort of benchmark against which other CAUT's can compare their various
situations. The details will differ for each institution, and as Ron N
points out, politics cannot really be avoided. The dynamics can be quite
different, I suspect, for a CAUT where there is more than one tech at the
institution, and/or where the performance levels required of many pianos
makes it impossible to tune 3 a  day due to the tech work needed, or... [a
million other factors].

Concerning coming into a studio with a piano that is loaded down with music,
TV/VCR, stereo, accumulated student files, campus mail, printed out e-mails,
a potted plant, and the remains of yesterday's lunch, I have found that more
grands than you might expect can actually be tuned quite easily with the lid
down -- takes a short tuning hammer in addition to your normal one and a
suspension of the rules against placing the tuning hammer on the pins
perpendicular to strings - and some practice. Don't tell people you didn't
clear off the piano; let 'em think you got things back perfectly!

Kent Swafford

(Wear a tie? Gonna have to think about _that_ one.)