never say never..kinda long

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:43:50 -0600

Bill,
At 19:41 03/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>More than 20 years has passed since the Standardized Tuning Exam was put in
>place.  There have been some changes in it but it is basically the same as it
>was back then.  If anything, it is easier now.  I wouldn't know the exact
>number of RPT's who are still actively tuning pianos who never took the Exam
>in its standardized form but whoever they are, they must be getting pretty
>old.

Er....  ah...  ahem.....  cough, cough....  {and harumph, for good measure}

  I don't think of either you or myself as being terrifically old.   I
joined in 1978 as an RTT and, as near as I can figure out, am still tuning
actively. <g>

>I often hear the most ridiculous reasons for not doing so come from the
>people for whom it would hardly be a challenge at all.  It would be best
>to simply say, "I'm not interested in obtaining the RPT status" and leave
>it at that.

I have repeatedly stated that I would be willing to take the standardized
exam.  If I thought that doing so would actually put somebody's money where
their mouth is, I would.  So far I've never seen anyone with a pecuniary
embouchure.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA - where,
       -if it matters to you, the area code is now 563.

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...