Red Chinese Pianos

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:42:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello.  If no one minds, I'd like to post a question to the list
regarding pianos from the PRC.  One hears so many media reports of
forced labor, political prisoners and other prisoners of conscience as a
slave workforce, torture, forced abortions, persecution of Christian and
other non-PC (Red Chinese-style) religious groups, the erasure of
Tibetan culture, Catholic priests brutally beaten and detained for
decades in total isolation, disregard for human life to the point of
selling aborted babies as "health food,"  the now growing business of
routine execution of young "criminals" to harvest and sell their
internal organs to foreigners awaiting transplants, ad infinitum......
This isn't an accusation, mind you, but just how are the workers in the
PRC, Inc. piano factories treated?   I'd simply like some kind of
confirmation that everything's OK with their treatment.  I'd like to
know that if I bring up a warranty issue with a PRC piano, some poor,
helpless soul (who may be a prisoner of conscience) on the other side of
the world won't be executed or tortured if the mistake is traced back to
him or her.  And also, those who supply the unfinished materials to the
factories...how are their rights and dignity respected?   Are any of
them forced labor?   Though I'm not a member, I am curious as to the
PTG's position regarding human rights.