piano tone 2

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:54:12 -0800 (PST)

Several days ago I posted asking about piano tone and
giving some of my basic (newbie?) observations.

I have uploaded some clips of songs to my Yahoo
briefcase.  Note:  NONE OF THESE ARE PROFESSIONAL
RECORDINGS!!

You can listen to them at
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/stephen_airy/
click on pianostuff folder -- everything's in folders
under there

All songs with .wav extensions are MP3 encoded --
either 22KHz 64-kbit/sec stereo or 16KHz 56-kbit/sec
stereo

1986 and 1987 Piano Recording(s)
These were done at the same location, 1 year apart --
Piano was probably rented (don't know for sure -- I
was 5 at the time and wasn't there)
I THINK these are both the same piano.

1988 Piano recording -- same location as 1986 and 1987
-- I suspect it might be a different piano but there
are some similarities

1991 Piano -- This was recorded somewhere other than
the other locations.  I think this is a concert grand
piano (I was there -- when I was 10) but I'm not
totally sure.

the Ricca & Son piano is mine -- I recorded those
songs last week within a couple days of tuning the
piano (except D-54 is a little out with itself -- I
have problems fine-tuning that note - I think it's
probably false beats).
On the Ricca & Son, the low A string is missing
(broken at tuning pin), then A#-2 to F#-10 is wound
monochord, G11 to B27 is wound bichord (on B27 the
right string is broken so it only has 1 string), then
the bass/treble bridge break, then C28-C88 is trichord
plain.  I think the speaking length of A1 is/was
approximately 55 to 57 inches.

I remember I have always liked the piano in the 1986
recordings since I first heard them (in 1986).  I was
wondering what you all think of the tone of these
pianos.  Considering I am new to piano servicing
(still learning and not yet doing much of / if
anything for pay yet), how would you describe the tone
of these pianos?  bright, mellow, in between, -- seems
like I have a lot to learn. :)

Also, what do you think of the way my Ricca & Son
sounds -- any suggestions for improving the tone (of
course I know replacing the hammers and strings would
definitely help, but what else do you suggest)?  and
do you think it's possible to voice my piano (if I
replaced parts in it) to sound anything like the other
recordings?  I would like a strong bass if possible
(whatever I can get out of my piano), but the
midsection and treble of the 1986 to 1988 recordings
are similar to what I like for the respective sections
of my piano.  The 1991 recording is what I would like
a large piano, if I owned one, to sound like.