Counterbearing angle

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:50:59 EST

In a message dated 3/27/2001 1:40:18 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<<  My own experience tells me that short, detuned front duplexes,
 combined with a less then knall hard sharp and thin capo (0,5mm flat topped)
 works best both as a precise termination, and for clear sound with minimal
 leakage through the termination. I notice no string buzz after many years use
 when this has been done carefully, and I have measured lower inharmonicity
(if
 this is desirable for some reason)  for this termination vs fat and round.
Seems
 to work best on low tension scales but I have nothing to support that with.

In reality, though, the string begins to cut the surface of the capo as soon
as any considerable tension is put on the string. Through simple surface
compression to a point of stasis (generally about 1.2mm) and through wear
(tuning, which creates a somewhat more rounded shape), starting with a
somewhat thinner more rounded shape, or a fatter more rounded shape, or a
thin flat or a fat flat shape, the actuality of the worked material is that
it reaches a point of stable length pretty quickly. Preferable to go with
thinner more rounded in my mind to avoid wire fatigue at the corners of a
flat edge. Also, in "annealing" (generally air hardening), the outer surfaces
of the casting cool more rapidly and become more brittle than the inner
material. There is a thin surface then on the capo which will cut more easily
than the middle and should be cleaned away on the capo to get to the harder
surface.

Does this gibe with your experience/knowledge?
PR-J