Speaking of learning to play the piano.....

Richard Wolff r.a.wolff@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:18:38 -0600

Will you share some of the names of pieces you're using?
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Torrella=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 12:32 PM
  Subject: Speaking of learning to play the piano.....

  I'm doing a technical for the Detroit-Windsor and N. Michigan =
chapters, next month, called "Symbiosis: Pianist and Technician." The =
"technical" will mostly be a discussion of what it's like being a =
pianist and a technician simultaneously......I've had lots of practice =
at it! The result is that I've managed to put together a recital program =
(actually, more like two and a half) comprised of pieces that I've been =
using to tweak everything from regulation to tuning to voicing. It's =
amazing what you can learn about a piano and what you can do with them =
when you're able to make them do more than just "thunk" and "twang." In =
addition to chattering about all of that business, I'll play portions of =
the recital I've been playing (in various arrangements and phases) for =
the past year.=20
  If you're in the Southern Michigan/Ohio area, the first technical will =
be this Monday, April 2, at Hammell Music in Bloomfield Hills, MI. I =
think things will get going around 8pm. If you need directions, email =
me.=20

  For those of you in the cooler, resort areas of Michigan (including =
the "Yoo-Pee"), I'll be presenting the same technical for the Northern =
Michigan Chapter on April 21st at the piano shop of the Interlochen Arts =
Camp/Academy at 2pm......I think that's what I was told! I believe it's =
that chapter's practice to meet for lunch (supper?), beforehand. Email =
Rolf vonWalthara (aka Walthausen) <VONWALTHARA@INTERLOCHEN.K12.MI.US> =
for more specific details.=20

  The motivating factor behind all of these performances and =
presentations, though, are several competitions for amateurs that I plan =
to enter in 2002 (Van Cliburn International Comp. for Outstanding =
Amateurs) and 2003 (Gina Bachauer International Comp. for Amateurs). =
It'll sure be a different experience, having been on both sides of the =
fence!! Stay tuned!=20
  --=20
  Ron Torrella=20
  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20
  Mark your calendars! I'm presenting a Piano Recital on Friday, April =
27th,=20
  7:30pm in McIntosh Theatre at the UM/SOM (1100 Baits Drive).=20
  Program:=20

  Sonata in C major, KV 330 -- W. A. Mozart=20
  Four Impromptus, D. 899 (Op. 90) -- F. Schubert=20
  Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 "Path=E9tique" -- L. van Beethoven=20
  Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor, Op. 27 No. 2 "Moonlight" -- L. van =
Beethoven=20