Red Chinese Pianos

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:17:59 -0500

>  <<<<joegum wrote:
>Just curious... does anyone on this list who belongs to either another
>American or foreign piano or music trade association know if their org.
>has policies or strategies regarding where and how to draw the line as
>to human rights?   Thanks. -Joe (Richard Brekne wrote:)
>It would suprise me if any of our organizations did Joe... hey we are
>just a bunch of guys and gals who like working and learning about
>pianos... We all have all kinds of better venues for Human Rights
>work.>>>>  I have no doubt that many on his list are concerned about
>human rights.
><<<<That being said I am sure that if it became known that a certain
>Brand X of pianos whipped poor little kidnapped girls from the third
>world until the bled to death just so they could get them to build
>pianos, that each and every one of us would look very unkindly on
>it.>>>>  I have no doubt.  The thing is....with the push toward
>globalism, we WILL be going to bed with some pretty unsavory characters.
>I was wondering if anyone had thought of ground rules...  strategies...
>ways to prevent ourselves from being complicit in the atrocities that so
>many govs perpetrate as a matter of course.
><<<<Now..... shall we talk about something else..... Blue Lebanize
>Organs for
>example ??>>>>  Luv to.  What are they?                         -Joe
>--

With all due respect Joe, can you do a better job of explaining why
you, who have not bothered to join the Piano Technicians Guild, is
exhorting those of who are members of this organization, and who know
it not to be a political organization (and prefer it that way), to
take a political stand that neither our current president Bush nor
his immediate predecessor felt was economically or politically
useful. Especially considering that the main difference between the
"Red Commie Rat" Chinese government and all the other odious
governments around the world which exploit their own captive labor
markets to fill our malls with cheap consumer items, is that this
country's dictatorship happens to be communist.

I appreciate your concern for the downtrodden workers of the world,
and would be happy to know that, when you're in your neighborhood
Walmart comparing a shirt made in this country to one made in
Indonesia at half the price, you opt for the double whammy available
for the price of the more expensive American made shirt: supporting
our own laborers whose jobs are increasingly slipping overseas, and
boycotting third world manufacturers whose price advantage is only
made possible by labor practises which would be illegal in this
country. This would be a far more effective outlet for your concerns.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes time and annoys the pig."
     ...........Sign on the wall of a college voice teacher's studio.