Creaky Joints (Teflon Action Centers)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:15:06 EST

In a message dated 3/28/2001 10:19:28 AM, Z wrote:

<<" First time a key was hit, it sounded arthritic with a noticeable "crick!"
but on subsequent blows within the next few seconds, there were no
"extramusical" sounds.  Furthermore, there was considerable resistance but
only at the first blow.  Give the key a break of less than 15 seconds, and it
started all over again as if it hadn't been played at all.">>

Hi Ms. Z!
  What you have here is what I have started calling a 'resistance' click.
These are clicks/cricks that are caused by: improper lubrication, dried out
lubrication, minor corrosion, etc., etc. The Last one of these I had was on a
Kawai...had me stumped until I discovered that it was the stringed loop
behind the jack where the jack return spring connected....I polished the jack
return spring and the 'click/crick' was gone. :-)
  You may find that your click/crick, aka 'resistance' click is coming from
your balancier or in the jack spring hole of the jack.  First I would check
the balancier spring groove for gunked up lubricant...clean and relube....if
that doesn't work check the spring/jack connection.........if none of the
above apply please disregard this post. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)