moving pianos

Gordon Holley gordon_holley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:26:53 -0500

Moving Piano's.  I've been an observer to the PTG and this thread and
currently am a student learning the trade.  I have been a professional
pianist (jazz) since college days, circa 1955-58, and currently have a
seven piece band. To the point.
My mother and I purchased a Farrand 5' Grand, with the player drawer and
mechanics removed, back in 1954.  It was moved one time to the family
residence and tuned.  That tuning held until after it was moved to a new
residence , circa 1967, and again tuned.  That tuning held until after it
was moved to Pennsylvania, 1969 and it was again tuned, which held until it
was moved to Omaha, Nebr.  The piano was briefly stored, not sit up, in a
garage for 5 months.  It was again moved to Goshen, Indiana, September
1971.  It was tuned the fall of 1971 and held until I noticed a very slight
drop in 1982, and I had it tuned then.  This past January, after deciding
to learn the piano tuning trade and become a technician, I had the piano
tuned to be sure I was starting out with a pure A-440.  The piano tuning
had not dropped enough to even warrant the tuning, however, the technician
did a good job knowing what my intentions were.  He was amazed at how well
the tuning's had held over the years, of very frequent use by myself.  I
believe the piano was built circa early 1920's.  It has the twin turned
post legs at the three locations, as the player grand's have.  The
temperature and humidity are very carefully maintained in our home.  The
plate has a stamping on it with the location "Holland, Michigan" and a six
digit serial number.
Can anyone tell me a little more about this beautiful piano of mine and why
the tuning's have held so well for such lengthy period's of time.  Thanks
in advance for any assistance.  Gordon Holley: gholley@hi-techhousing.com
or Gholley237@cs.com.