String breakage again

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:07:55 EST

Forgive me if my question has been taken up recently.  I'm unable to keep up
with reading Pianotech and have just been searching the archives and have
found nothing helpful.

An institution I (along with several other technicians) service uses a 1893
Steinway D for frequent student recitals.  Restrung two years ago by a
respected local music house.  Complaining about having to replace broken
strings in the capo area, asking my advice.

Do worn hammers contribute to string breakage?  Seems like I have read
something to that effect in these posts sometime back.  The hammers show
considerable wear- fairly long grooves.  They look like Renners with mahogany
moldings, but the underfelt is reddish rather than blue.  The outfit that
restrung it does not have a history of good hammer reshaping, tending to
leave a flat surface even when they do file.

Would failure to reshape the capo contribute to breaking strings?  I've asked
but no one seems to know.

I'll appreciate any suggestions y'all.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Columbia, SC