Ideal leading pattern:

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:05:40 -0000

I run into this sort of situation frequently and I would like some opinions.
  Steinway model S ca 1936.  I am replacing hammers and shanks only.  I use
Steinway hammers full taper, Abel shank 16.5 mm knuckle gives me the best
combination of regulation/downweight from which to work.  The strike weight
is medium and consistent throughout.  Key weight ratio is 5.0.  When I
install the hammers, I will still want to take 2-5 grams off the downweight
throughout much of the piano (though it is somewhat erratic) to get a 52-48g
taper.   Doing so does not compromise the upweight.  The present front
weight of the keys allows me to add lead without exceeding the maximum
recommended front weight (according to Stanwood charts).  But... the keys
already have a fair amount of lead grouped mostly toward the balance rail.
Though the front weight is not excessive, the keys themselves weigh a lot
because of the amount of lead in them (e.g. C16 = 163g , C40 = 144g, C64 =
133g).  I have the option of adding a small lead, or removing two or more
large leads from near the balance rail and replacing them with one large
lead out toward the front of the key.  The latter will produce a more
conventional leading pattern--and involves a lot more work.

My questions are:

1.  Which one will produce a better feel?
2.  Will the difference be significant?
3.  Do front weight parameters change with the overall length of the key:
i.e., is the allowable front weight greater for a model D than for a model
S, or there other factors.
4.  What additional information will be helpful in making a quantifiable
decision?

David Love