OT: Red

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:22:39 -0500

>>If the term "Red" is so insulting, then why does THEIR OWN MILITARY
>>refer TO ITSELF as the "RED ARMY"?  It wishes to disrespect itself????
>>I truly have no wish to be disrespectful, but please  answer this
>>question for me.    -Joe
>
>While it is true that "redness" was a concept/term used by the most
>zealous followers of Mao Zedong, it is no longer held in high
>regard. As the late leader Deng Xiaoping said, "To get rich is
>glorious."
>My 3500 page Chinese-English Dictionary says for "Hong Jun"(Red
>Army): "abbrev. for the Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army
>(1928-1937)." Not the most current term, but it continues to be used
>in *some* of the US press. A more current term would be Renmin
>Jiefang Jun, the People's Liberation Army, or Renmin Jun, the
>People's Army.
>The adjective was quite current through the life of Mao Zedong; for
>example the journal Hongqi, or Red Flag, was a rather extreme
>propaganda vehicle for the Red Guard, Mme. Mao (Jiang Qing), et al.
>
>Patrick Draine

You got to admit, Patrick, is is shorter that "Red Commie Rat
Enemy-of-their-Own-People Pinko Dupe Fascist-by-Another-Name". Joe
must not be in the piano business or we would be hearing him ask
about how to fix pianos. I think he's another spook, like the Rev.
Peggy Bie.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If you are in a dilemma about where to park your car, ask your
hostess. If she is engaged, ask some responsible person who can
indicate a convenient spot"
     ...........Betty White's Teenage Dance Book (paperback, 1959)